Skip to main content

Cabin In The Woods - common conventions and sub-genres

Within this film, a huge range of sub-genres are explored which is not typical of a generic horror as the sub-genre tends to either be solely focused on one or even a merge of two. However, in Cabin in the Woods, we can identify the sub-genres of Werewolves, Zombies, Monsters, Slasher and Splatter. Examples that these sub-genres are used, are by the antagonists used within the film, for example, there is a main group of zombies that are the dominant antagonists throughout, the slasher and splatter elements can be highlighted by the gore, blood and violence within the film, even though it may not be as extreme as the likes of Saw and/or Scream and finally, the monster and werewolf sub-genres can be denoted through the other antagonists that the scientists below the cabin create to kill of the teenagers as a sacrifice to the Gods. Additionally, since each of the five main protagonists are teens and they each can be identified as a stereotypical character, such as, the 'whore', the 'jock', the 'virgin', the 'smart one' and the 'clown' in a horror film, particularly a slasher film, it illustrates the movie's dominant use of conventions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essay on Research and Planning

At the beginning of my college year I did not have many creative skills to use towards my first college magazine which I produced myself with no extra help. I had already had experience in creativity with using cameras of smart phones but apps such as indesign and photoshop I was not very advanced at. For the college magazine also I did jot do any research ans planning of textual analysis and drafting, which effected the end result massively as I was not aware of the conventional layouts or colouring therefore it did not match existing college magazines. Also, since I did not do any drafting my first draft was my final draft and I had no practice so the magazine was not professional looking. However, for my music magazine there was a bit of research and planning completed so, I was able to gather conventional components that I could include/copy to make the magazine more recognisable to the chosen genre which was pop. For example, pop music magazines have bright and bold colours, the

Digital Technology Essay

Digital Technology is any software for programming, producing or editing that allows us to be creative in the making of media. These digital technologies can include websites, such as weebly and blog creating, final cut on iMacs to edit movies, photo altering and editing programmes such as photoshop and many more. Each digital technology is unique in it's own way and the cross use of technology can help to create extreme advanced and complex products. From this, digital technology allows us as individuals to be ome the producer and we no longer have to rely on companies to make something worthwhile. In my AS year of college, I did not have an advanced idea on how to use many different technologies for example, i could only use weebly and simple ideas on Indesign to create a blog and a music magazine which my blog research related to. Even though I live in world where we are surrounded by technology, I could only successfully and creatively use technologies such as my own camera, o

Narrative Theory Essay (Timed 30 mins)

In this essay, I am going to be writing about the Summer Trailer me and my group made over these past six weeks which is a psychological horror about a girl's fight between the good and evil in side of her. Within a trailer there must be a sense of narrative that allows the audience to catch and understand what the film being advertised will be about. Therefore, without it, a story is not built up and is not as effective on its viewers. This is different in trailers, as a story is not meant to be told, only parts of the plot are put on screen to leave the viewers wanting more and leaving them with unanswered questions. One of the theories that can be applied to my trailer is the theory of Todorov, however, with trailers, this theory is reversed. For example, a trailer must be a mintage of clips from within the movie, this is so that the audience is left with questions, which watching the full film will then answer. So, in order to do this, it must not follow the set three steps a