Skip to main content

Audience Essay (Timed 30 Mins)

During the summer, me and my group made a horror trailer about the illness of a young teenage girl who in the end becomes her own worst enemy and loses her sanity without her medicine. When looking at the audience theories, there are either two ways in which we can watch the media; passively, or actively. In addition, Stuart Hall stated that there are three types of audiences', those who accept and agree with the reading (The Dominant Reading), those who question the text (The Negotiated Reading) and finally, those who reject the piece, (The Oppositional Reading). When looking at my summer trailer I can discuss the use of the Hypodermic needle/Effect model, even though my trailer does not include an extremely controversial topic, it still addresses the sensitive subject of people dealing with mental health issues. Therefore, if people watch this they can be influenced to believe that all people suffering with mental problems they are mad, crazy psychopaths which is ultimately not true. This is why this model can be so negative on society and is due to why some horror films have been banned in the past. Furthermore, all horror films give audiences uses and gratification that is the main reason we enjoy media texts. Blulmer and Katz discovered five specific pleasures that each viewer can gain when watching any form of media or in this case, any horror film. To link this to my trailer, I believe audiences can gain affective and tension free needs as the relatable young teen suffering from an illness can be used to make our trailer more personal to audiences since they can sympathise with the character and seem themselves in her position. But also, as the film is a horror viewers can use our trailer as a form of an escape from reality, since the props and makeup we used highlight the film is not real. Additionally, the theory of Catharsis created by Aristotle reflects on the idea of using horror film to be able to get out negative emotions that people in the audience may be suffering from, the idea stems around cleansing or almost purging of violent feelings. Even though my trailer partly does this through the fact that our trailer does include many key conventions of the horror genre; which would help achieve this theory successfully, Catharsis is an extremely active movement and their must be a lot of violence and murder or gore present to do this most effectively, therefore next time I will ensure we include these key aspects. Moreover, the Copycat theory can also be discussed when looking at my trailer. This theory talks about the way horror films with excessive amounts of violent scenes and graphic images can influence the younger generations of today as children look up to the media since it is all around them and what drives society to invent new things. When reflecting back on my trailer, the copycat theory cannot be applied, since there is only small amount of blood seen within my trailer and no apparent violence at all, thus highlighting that my film would not be controversial horror or successful in the slightest, since horror trailers and films are meant to push the boundaries and create unrealistic ideas of society. Therefore, next time I am going to make sure we have at least one key scene of live violence to shock audiences. Finally, Mary Cover Jones talks about the ideas of desensitisation which addresses the idea that an over exposure to too much inhumane and gory images/videos can cause some people to become immune to seeing this and therefore it becomes a real life subject. This is extremely controversial as it can lead to some people, especially those easily influenced to believe that this violence is normal, and therefore when exposed to it again, it is not shocking. In my horror trailer the viewers do not become desensitised as there is not an over usage of extreme amounts of blood or torturous behaviour, therefore to have a greater impact next time I will include these elements.

Comments

  1. "...therefore to have a greater impact next time I will include these elements." - EVALUATE HOW successful is your summer trailer given this concept?

    "link this to my trailer, I believe audiences can gain affective and tension free needs as the relatable young teen suffering from an illness can be used to make our trailer more personal to audiences since they can sympathise with the character and seem themselves in her position. " GIVE specific examples of HOW this is demonstrated on screen.

    "Catharsis is an extremely active movement and their must be a lot of violence and murder or gore present to do this most effectively, therefore next time I will ensure we include these key aspects. " WHAT opportunities would you have in the trailer to do this - suggest what this would look like?

    Now you have the analysis you can Compare and reference RMT (real media texts)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Essay on Research and Planning

At the beginning of my college year I did not have many creative skills to use towards my first college magazine which I produced myself with no extra help. I had already had experience in creativity with using cameras of smart phones but apps such as indesign and photoshop I was not very advanced at. For the college magazine also I did jot do any research ans planning of textual analysis and drafting, which effected the end result massively as I was not aware of the conventional layouts or colouring therefore it did not match existing college magazines. Also, since I did not do any drafting my first draft was my final draft and I had no practice so the magazine was not professional looking. However, for my music magazine there was a bit of research and planning completed so, I was able to gather conventional components that I could include/copy to make the magazine more recognisable to the chosen genre which was pop. For example, pop music magazines have bright and bold colours, the

Digital Technology Essay

Digital Technology is any software for programming, producing or editing that allows us to be creative in the making of media. These digital technologies can include websites, such as weebly and blog creating, final cut on iMacs to edit movies, photo altering and editing programmes such as photoshop and many more. Each digital technology is unique in it's own way and the cross use of technology can help to create extreme advanced and complex products. From this, digital technology allows us as individuals to be ome the producer and we no longer have to rely on companies to make something worthwhile. In my AS year of college, I did not have an advanced idea on how to use many different technologies for example, i could only use weebly and simple ideas on Indesign to create a blog and a music magazine which my blog research related to. Even though I live in world where we are surrounded by technology, I could only successfully and creatively use technologies such as my own camera, o

Real Media Texts Essay

In all types of media there are all different types of conventions, these conventions have specific rules that must be followed in order for an audience to be able to identify that product to a set of stereotypes. In film, it is the different genres and sub genres that all contain contrasting "ingredients" in order for them to be known as a part of that genre but also so they can be broken and reinvented. This widens creativity as the conventions will therefore have another meaning as to what they did in the first place and is how a lot of films and products today must do to stand out to crowds. In As, I created a music magaine front cover, a contents page and also a double page spread. However the conventions that I used I did not know the true deeper meaning behind them and why certain elements were placed a specific way. This therefore limited my creativity as I could not play around and use my own imagination to turn them into something unique. On the contrary, I did und